Chemical peels are an effective treatment for many superficial skin concerns, including:
- Acne – chemical peels exfoliate skin allowing dead skin cells and excess oils to be removed more effectively. This action unblocks hair follicles and pores and reduces the appearance of pimples, improving the overall skin texture in people with acne.
- Fine lines and wrinkles – chemical peels can reduce these, especially under the eye area and around the mouth in sun damaged or ageing skin.
- Rough skin texture – chemical skin peels can improve rough skin texture by increasing the amount of collagen in the upper layer of the skin.
- Lentigines (large freckles) which appear as dark spots on the skin, also called liver spots, or age spots – a course of chemical peels can lighten large freckles and improve the appearance of sun damaged skin.
- Melasma – is a dark skin discoloration which appears as patches commonly found on the cheeks, nose, lips, upper lip, and forehead and is common in women who are taking hormonal treatment. A course of chemical peels can lighten the appearance of dark discoloured skin caused by melasma.
- Hyperpigmentation – caused by excess skin pigment in the skin which can result in uneven skin tone. Chemical peels can lighten and even out the skin tone.
A skin peel dramatically improves the appearance of your skin without invasive surgery.
Frequently asked questions
How do chemical peels work?
A chemical peel is a skin treatment that is used to improve and smooth out the surface of the skin. A chemical solution “Glycolic acid” is applied to the face and is designed to exfoliate the skin and encourage it to refresh itself by creating fresh new skin cells.
What is Glycolic acid?
Glycolic Acid, also known as Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), is a chemical exfoliant originally sourced from sugarcane and used for beautification by ancient civilizations. Modern Glycolic peels are chemically engineered to make them more effective.
What happens during treatment?
During the peel your skin will be cleansed and toned and the Glycolic agent will be applied to your skin using a gentle brush, the peel will be left on the skin for between three and five minutes. A slight tingling sensation may be felt during application but this usually subsides once the solution is removed or neutralised.
What happens after a skin peel?
After the first session, you will notice an instant improvement. Your skin will feel softer and look subtly younger. A further three treatments will bring an obvious transformation, with a newer and healthier face yours to enjoy.